Monday, November 2, 2009

What I most appreicate about my local church:

Today I entered myself in a "drawing" for a free ESV Study Bible by submitting a short composition about what I most appreciate about my local church. I thought it was a great way to record the recent blessings from PBC.

Alyssa G.
Denver, CO
Providence Bible Church


I am a part of a church plant that just celebrated it's 1 year anniversary in September. Even though I have been attending church my whole life I believe I am experiencing a complete church for the first time as a part of Providence Bible Church. Nothing is assumed here. Basic Christianity is being redefined and its only source is the Word of God, traditions aside. While I have lived the importance of community my whole life, surrounded by believers and recognizing our dependence on one another in the church (for the use of gifts and for ministry, for evangelism and discipleship and so much more) it was at Providence that I first learned the theology of christian community.

The theology of community is supported all throughout Scripture and we overlook it far too often. One of my pastor's recently stated "Community was not created" and he is completely right. Community existed within the Triune God long before creation. Genesis 1:26-7
speaks of this community by using plural terms and even more clearly Christ, in His priestly prayer in John 17 (specifically verses 20-26) asks that those whom He has called will be "one" just as He and the Father are one. Community is rooted in the theology of God.

At Providence I am learning not only the theology of community but the daily activity and working out of that community. Formally and informally we are encouraged to live as the church -the body of Christ- not just at the meeting place on Sunday but every day of the
week. Taking part in community draws my heart to a daily praise of the God who freely gives of Himself to me through the church.

2 comments:

  1. First! Nice post. I appreciate Providence's emphasis on community and I think a lot of churches really miss out in that area.

    Oh, and for anybody reading this comment, no, we're not related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The gospel creates the kind of community that is even now an imperfect preview of the kingdom’s marriage feast that awaits us. The church originates, flourishes, and fulfills its mission as that part of God’s world that has been redeemed and redefined by this strange announcement that seems foolish and powerless to the rest of the world.”

    —Michael Horton, The Gospel-Driven Life (Grand Rapids, MI; Baker Books, 2009), 11

    ReplyDelete