Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Saying Goodbye

I began composing this entry back in May and when I came across it today, decided it was time to share it.

5/06/2009
I am extremely grateful for the way the Lord reminds me of my future hope and just how far separated I am from perfection right now. He constantly is at work to reconcile all things (including my understanding) to Himself. (Colossians 1:19-20 “For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.”) This is all necessary because of our fallen and separated state. When the first sin was committed in the garden, goodbyes became necessary. Death would happen and we would have to say goodbye. Eternal separation would bring painful goodbyes that would never be reconciled but for those who believe in the resurrection of Christ over death and sin, for these there is a hope of a future reunion. (I Thessalonians 4:13-18)

So here I am on the brink of my college graduation. I try not to think about all the people who I will say goodbye to in three days. The day I’ve anticipated for years -May 9, 2009- is now approaching with a mix of excitement and dread and I’m trying to deal with it all. My typical method of dealing (analyzing it until it makes sense) doesn’t seem to be working. The thought popped into my head, “Why did God make goodbyes?” They don’t seem to fit into my understanding of His character and plan. Usually, I’m able to fit everything under my umbrella of preparation for future glory and a greater understanding of God (example: earthly marriage as a way to relate to my heavenly bridegroom, creation as a glimpse of the beauty of my God etc.) but now I’ve hit this road block. Goodbyes? Where do they fit in? Ultimately, when I’ve reached that “blissful shore” I won’t have to say goodbye any more. I’ll be with my Savior forever. I suppose there will be those goodbyes to all the ones who won’t join me in Canaan but is that really all that goodbyes represent?



So here I am, just over 6 months later and it seems like yesterday that I asked these questions. I never came to a conclusion and I still feel powerless to reach one.

Could it be that goodbyes in their pain and discomfort are meant to draw me closer to their antithesis- perfect unity with my Creator, devoid of all separation?

These questions remind me of my finite state and cause me to greatly anticipate the day when 1 Corinthians 13:12 will be fulfilled in me:
“For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully even as also I was fully known.”

Oh for that day when faith becomes sight!
When blind trust won't be needed because all will be known!
Oh Lord, increase my faith now until that blessed day comes!


Philippians 3:20-1 “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment