Monday, April 26, 2010

What's in a name?

A name (according to the American Heritage Dictionary) is but “a mere designation, as distinguished from fact.” I like this definition but I find so much more meaning than this in a name.

I am a sucker for a well placed personal name reference in either written or spoken communication. There is something almost romantic about it to me when used right.

I love full names - the kind that most people shorten for convenience sake, I love saying in their entirety. To the Jillians, the Jonathans, the Christophers, the Elizabeths, the Benjamins, and the Nathaniels of the world your names bring a smile to my face.

Yesterday I was captivated by the emotion that can fuse itself with a spoken name. These are the accounts from my yesterday which led to these retrospective thoughts:

Account #1: When I introduced myself to you and asked you your name the reply came back with a, “You should know this” attached. I should have remembered meeting you last month. I didn’t sense frustration and resentment in your voice though, but rather forgiveness for my lack of care in forgetting you so quickly. The name said it all.

Account #2: You called me the wrong name. I took it as a compliment. The name you chose in place of my own was attached to one I enjoy being associated with and I was grateful to share it for a moment. The name said it all.

Account #3: Until my name was spoken in that tone of voice, I didn’t recognize the frustration you were feeling about our inability to understand one another during the conversation that consumed our long walk. The name said it all.

Account #4: I see the love for her in your eyes and oh when you speak her name… She is beautiful to you. Even her name is beautiful to you. The name said it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment